Our Curriculum Intent
Here at Highley, our curriculum puts the child at the centre of our caring, sharing and achieving school, where positive relationships, based on mutual trust and respect are at the heart of everything we do. We value the uniqueness of each individual child, recognising their potential for learning.
We believe that our curriculum offers a balance between understanding and using knowledge as well as developing and applying skills, leading to better understanding and progression for the pupils. It exposes our children to enriching experiences, immersing them in progressive knowledge and skills; equipping them with personal characteristics required to succeed in life.
Above all, we want our learners to be resilient and develop a ‘can do’ attitude. The key principles behind the design of our curriculum are for our children to:
- Be independent and genuinely love learning and investigating
- Be open-minded and be motivated to explore the world around them
- Be aspirational and have high expectations of themselves so that they become happy and successful members of society
- Take pride in their achievements and to recognise that hard work pays off
- Learn about the unique locality of Highley to deepen their learning and appreciate the community they are a part of
We will do this by supporting, guiding and inspiring our children through High Quality Teaching and Learning. By working with our families and the local community we will create an aspirational school community in which everyone is valued and successes are celebrated.